SLASH Issues Update On Solo Album, 'American Idol' Appearance


VELVET REVOLVER and ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash has posted an update on the recording process for his new solo album, which he is tracking with former NINE INCH NAILS drummer Josh Freese and ex-JANE'S ADDICTION bassist Chris Chaney. Confirmed guest singers so far include Ozzy Osbourne and AVENGED SEVENFOLD's M. Shadows.

Slash writes on his MySpace page: "By next Monday, we will have nine songs with vocals recorded. It really is a killer record so far and it sonically sounds amazing. We've recorded everything analog and that makes a huge difference in the most positive way. Eric Valentine is the perfect producer to handle all this spontaneous information and energy I've been throwing at him, he is really a one of a kind technician.

"It's hard to explain, but I really needed this creative outlet to do stuff I haven't been at liberty to do in a LONG while. To be honest, I have been having a ridiculously good time working on this project. And the singers have all been genuinely awe-inspiring and a pleasure to work with. They are the focus of what this record ultimately will sound like, regardless of how good the instruments sound. With their input, every session has had its own unique vibe and character and the songs have developed a personality unique to each individual vocalist. Cool stuff.

"Unfortunately, this record is not going to come out until next year, but it's going to be worth the wait, I promise."

Slash also commented on his "mentor" appearance this week during "Rock Week" on "American Idol", the annual reality show and singing competition. He writes, "The 'American Idol' adventure was quite an experience, to say the least. I did my best to change it up by mentoring the singers at the Roxy and I brought some great musicians to play with me, Tommy Clufetos on drums, Keri Kelli on guitar and Chris Chaney on bass. Matt Rhodes, the keyboard player from the 'American Idol' band also accompanied us and was indispensable in helping us navigate the key changes and edits that were necessary to perform the songs in the keys that the singers chose and in the time frame that fit the shows format etc. And all in just a couple hours.

"Although the show itself was way out of my comfort zone initially, we definitely altered the show's routine, for better or worse. The show staff and crew were super-professional and sincerely went out of their way to make everything as painless and expeditious as possible. It wasn't a big spaz attack like on some TV productions. As important, if not more so, the singers were great to work with as well. Adam (who I was not scouting to sing in VELVET REVOLVER, by the way) was amazing, as was Alison, who was unceremoniously voted off prematurely, in my opinion. Danny and Kris were out of their element this week, but did the best they could under the circumstances. The judges, although unnecessarily harsh at times, were like rock stars themselves and Seacrest is the consumate professional, no matter what. Very interesting dynamics, more so in person than on TV. All in all, it was a good time. But the way I see it, as massive as 'American Idol' is, it could do with an infusion of rock and roll on a regular basis. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about the whole event.

"Anyway, I worked in the studio around the show for those three days so as not to waste any time on my record and I'm working through the weekend to get my schedule back to normal starting Monday, so I don't miss a beat."

Previous stars who have mentored hopefuls on "American Idol" include Mariah Carey and Neil Diamond, while Jon Bon Jovi has mentored "Rock Week."

blabbermouth.net

Categories:

0 Responses "SLASH update on Solo Album ft. Matt Shadows"